Thursday, January 27, 2011

Michelle Obama Joins Walmart


I would like to preface this post by saying that I adore Michelle Obama.

OK. Now that we got that out of the way, I think we really need to discuss the first lady's recent partnership with Walmart for a new program to promote healthy foods.

On the surface, I get it. Who could be a more powerful ally in Obama's determined effort to make healthy food more affordable and accessible for working class families?

But. . . IT'S WALMART!



Not only has the superstore giant crushed countless local businesses throughout the country, but Walmart has a long, nauseating history of irresponsible and unethical business practices -- some of which have been criticized by the Obama's themselves in the past.

As a Plastic Feminist, I must admit that I still occasionally shop at Walmart (mostly because of the sick feeling I get from paying almost twice as much for toilet paper at other stores).

Despite my own Walmart addiction, I am really having trouble supporting Michelle Obama's decision to collaborate with one of the most carelessly destructive corporations in America.

It has also become clear to me that this decision is sort of emblematic of Michelle's overall image and use of power during her time in the White House.

As a strong, beautiful, and tremendously intelligent black woman (who at one time served as a mentor to the current president of the United States), it seemed that Michelle Obama had the potential to move mountains.

While Michelle always maintained that she was not particularly interested in politics herself, I can't help but think that she could help ignite an important debate about gender and racial issues just by sharing some truthful opinions and experiences.

Instead, Michelle chose to remain noncontroversial by cultivating her image around her role as a mother and wife. She chose to commit herself to the problem of childhood obesity-- a cause which, while important, is anything but political.

While I understand the decision to keep Michelle as palatable as possible for the public and the right-wing (Just imagine the backlash if she hadn't!), I wonder if American women should demand more from her?

Should we be happy that women of all races and classes covet her style?

Is it enough that a highly educated African-American woman is living in the White House and likely counseling our president?

Should we celebrate that poor people may soon have access to affordable healthy foods, even if it means we made a deal with the devil?

Opinions, please.

No comments:

Post a Comment